What a wonderful time we had at Tiff's home yesterday! 5 Taiwan families got together and chatted, played, laughed, ate, ate, ate and shared war stories. In attendance, Gracyn (home Sept. 2008), Kimi (home late 2007), Lucy (home Sept. 2008), Samantha (home Jan. 2008) and my J.
From L to R: Peyton, Gracyn, Jaden, Lucy on Jacob's lap, Brady, Samantha on Sierra's lap, Kimi. Check out Peyton kicking back with his non-caffeinated root beer.
Little about each Taiwan kiddo. First let me say they're all so beautiful and well adjusted. It's hard to believe some have only been home 2 months.
Gracyn - she knows what she wants and, without words, can get her point across very well. Taking an adult by the hand, she'll lead you to her destination and point to a series of things in order. As families arrived, she'd take my hand, lead me to the door and point at the people. I think she was making sure my manners were in check. :-) She led my husband to the garage door opener, pointed and acted out 'push' then pointed to the garage door and lifted her hand. He knew right away she wanted to go into the driveway.
Lucy - the fastest child on earth- think Dash on the Incredibles. Very sure-footed, never missing a step. Don't think about putting an obstacle in her way - she'll get by, through, over. And she's already got quite a sense of humor. She threw a piece of food across the table which made Mikey bust out laughing. Her daddy told her "No" but making Mikey laugh was much more important. She turned to him and with her big toothy grin, threw another piece resulting in a belly roar from Mikey and an eye roll from her daddy.
Samantha - she talks! Really talks! She pointed to my J and clearly said, "Baby." What's funny is she's 2 months younger than Jaden and she has a bank of 100+ words! She's very inquisitive - wondering why water wasn't coming out of the Little Tykes sink in the play room. She kept swiping at it and bending down to look in the faucet opening - too cute!
Kimi - delicate princess. This little doe-eyed baby is very shy and lady-like. I did see her have a tug-of-war with a peer, but eventually she gave in and gracefully handed over the object. She intently watched what everyone else was doing and easily played along side the other children. So sweet - just wanted to sweep her up and kiss her face.
Let's not forget the siblings or the 'Casualities of War' as they've been labeled.
Sierra - there's a girl I wanna call my own. So mature, polite and helpful. She must make her parents very proud.
Jacob - he reminded me that my J's name is Jaden and I should call her that since his name is J, too. "So I should call you J?" "You can call me Jacob." I had to watch my Ps & Qs around this one!
Brady - a big teddy bear. Makes you wanna take his face into your hands and cover him with kisses.
Peyton - so serious and mature. At 3 years old he can make your head snap with the grown-up phrases he comes out with. He served my husband water at the bar while skillfully using his bartender lingo. Quite hillarious!
Here's all the moms with their peeps. L to R: Gracyn with Tiff, Jackie with Lucy, Me with Jaden & Mikey, Lori with Samantha & Sierra, Megan with Kimi.
Behind the scenes:
Commander in Chiefs L to R: Tiff, Lori, Megan, Jackie and me.
All 5 hubbies were snapping this same picture - we joked they were paparazzi. Felt like a Jolie-Pitt on the red carpet. "Brad! Angie! What country will you adopt from next?" No comment. (eeegads - I look like an amazon!)
These get-togethers, no matter how big or small, are so important. International toddler adoption is as heart-warming as it is heart-wrenching. From their already formed personalities and habits to their cultural comforts to the caregivers they're bonded to - there are lots of issues to deal with. Sharing stories, asking advice or simply knowing we're not alone does wonders for our family. Thank you Tiff, Jackie, Lori and Megan (along with your hubbies and kiddies). See you again real soon, ya hear?
PS. Hop on over to Tiff's blog for a whole lotta more pics.


7 comments:
Okay! I can't stand it anymore...
The next time you all get together like that PLEASE call me. Allie and I will hop on a flight and do a 3 day weekend in California. I already informed the Hubby and told him to look at these pictures and he has agreed that it would be a good thing for Allie and I to do. It would be hard for he and the boys to tag along, but not such a big deal for my wild child I to get away.
You guys look great!
Lora
I can so see what you mean Ramona! I am sure bein able to spend the time talkin and sharin made you ALL feel better and I bet it was so good for the babies! That is one thing I worry about Noah bein so far, but we will be making visits in time. It is important! Maybe LORA can pick us up on her way to see all y'all! :) He maybe we can go to Lora's and then ride together! I dont know where she lives! heehee
Anyway seems like a wonderful time was had :)
hugs
Tami
Noah's Mama
www.tillGodbringsthemhome.blogspot.com
What a great post Ramona! I love that you documented all of our kids' personalities! I laughed at Peyton's, and smiled at Gracyn's. . .let's do it again soon! Hugs, Tiff
p.s. you can guess that I ate the bleu cheese potato salad for dinner!
You do NOT look like an amazon! LOL But, if you did, it's because the hobbit next to you doesn't know how to stand up straight.
By the way, the behind the scenes shot is just hideous of me... mean girl.
FYI new commenters - Even though Jackie looked great in the Behind the Scenes pic, I went ahead and cropped her out! You owe me one, Jackie!
you're too good to me, amazon woman.
There is absolutely no reason for it but I cried when I read this post! I laughed too and I am totally floored that you and Tiff were able to get your photos off of your cameras, upload them to your blog AND write something. If Jackie and Megan did too I'll feel totally lazy! I am NOT even close to that fast (I did get them off of my camera but that is purely because of peer pressure).
I LOVED what you wrote about all of the babies and the big kids! Sierra will be thrilled to read what you wrote about her and Samantha! Like Megan I hope we can get together sooner than a year from now!
Lori
PS - Samantha is STILL talking about that sink - it REALLY bothered her that water wouldn't come out!
Post a Comment