Thursday, February 26, 2009

Twilight Series Non-Review

February 26, 2009
Warning: this will be a boring and nonsensical post unless you've read the Twilight Series, and probably doubly so if you have read it.

I'm a late Twilight bloomer, a 4 book series by Stephanie Meyers my teenage stepson turned me on to. After harrassing him for weeks about reading romance novels, I sneak-peaked at book 1. It took me a long time to get through the first half because it's so high school drama - didn't have time for it then and I certainly don't have time for it now. But luckily I trudged on. By the end of the book, I was hooked.

One of the ongoing stories is about the human girl having a werewolf best friend and a vampire boyfriend, both of whom are in love with her and natural enemies with each other. While I love the werewolf and vampire characters, the girl leaves much to be desired. She's shallow and not very interesting, an airhead of sorts. At least the vampire girls make up for what she lacks.

Stupid girl aside, let me tell you - it's been a long time since I've been so engrossed in a book let alone having the time to be such. But where there's a will there's a way and I've been staying up until an ungodly hour so I can effectively escape into this ethereal world. I even went to see the movie with my SS and, unlike other literary fans, I LOVED the movie so much that it fueled my frenzy.

Sadly, my engine started losing steam during the 3rd book. Seems the werewolf decides to make his feelings known and passionately/violently kisses the girl against her will. Her angry vampire boyfriend threatens to kill the werewolf if it ever happens again 'unless she wants you to kiss her.' What? Unless she wants you to kiss her? I think to myself, 'Please Stephanie, don't emasculate my vampire like that' and I read on with confidence that he'll redeem himself (and I forgive Stephanie her little misstep).

But nooooo, it gets worse, to the point where the stupid girl who's been 'unknowingly' leading the werewolf on admits she's in love with both and she's so sorry she's hurting both of them, wah wah bhah blubber blah blah. What to do, what to do. Nevermind that, it's what the big burly werewolf and the strong smoldering vampire do:

(in a high-pitched mocking voice) they call a truce and stand by her while she decides who she wants because they want her to be happy.

WHAT???!! Are they serious??? Not only have they been vying for a female wasteland who has no redeeming qualities, they've reduced their masculine selves to whipped pup and goth boy! ! In the real world, THIS WOULD NEVER HAPPEN. Why oh why, Stephanie, did you find the need to introduce such a distasteful and unrealistic situation into an otherwise glorious prose?? I just don't know if I can go on...


DOH.

Well, as real as you can get in a story about werewolves and vampires as well as a stupid girl to boot.


What can I say. I'm only human.

3 comments:

momwithfaithandhope said...

I foudn your post entertaining FWIW - not into the series, don't plan on starting, but you're funny, as always. Hope you find some other read you can enjoy soon!! Sounds like you're done with this one. . .

Andrea said...

Oh man, you haven't even gotten into the last book yet. Watch out, it's full of WTF and head scratching moments.

Anonymous said...

YES! Bella needs a brain and a freakin' backbone.