Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Communication is the Key

January 28, 2009
As Jaden gets more acclimated and excels in her therapies, I've noticed her babbling A LOT. Clear vowel, double-consonant sounds, but always babble. She's been doing this consistently for a few weeks now and we're very relieved because the lack of communication has been extremely frustrating for her, to the point of uncontrollable anguish. So I hear her constantly "talking" in the backgroud and will often, mindlessly, talk back to her to keep her going. We were doing this yesterday when,

"Kee Kee"

"Heeya"

"Baw"

I whipped my head around to see Jaden handing a ball to Mikey. "Mikey. Here. Ball." I'm definitely going to start truly listening now.

Speaking of communicating with a little one, Mike and I make a point of going to all first specialist visits together, as was the case for Jaden's first Occupational Therapy appointment 2 weeks ago. Mikey in tow, we were led to a huge room full of gym equipment, bins of beans & balls, toys, ropes, swings, etc. I think it was called the Sensory Room. Right inside the door was a small open space, perfect for Mikey to quietly play with his train set while we followed Jaden and her OT around.

A few minutes into the appointment, another therapist in the room came over to me, gestured towards Mikey and snapped, "Is he a patient?" "No but both parents are here for our daughter's evaluation." "Then he needs to leave." (I swear on my hampster's grave she had fangs.) "No, he will not leave because we need to be here for our daughter's evalution and I will not have him sit in the lobby by himself. So, no. I'm sorry but nobody is leaving." and I went back to observing Jaden. Ms. Sour OT literally "Hmmmphfft", turned on her heels and stomped out. (Pretty funny since 'Does your child stomp' was on the sensory questionaire.)

I walked over to Mikey and whispered to him that he should maybe be a little more quiet. "But why do the other kids get to play and I can't?" "Well, they have some problems and the doctors are trying to help them." (What else do you say to a 4 year old????) He looked down sadly and said, "OK, Mommy". I patted his head and went back across the vast room to join Jaden in progress.

No sooner than I sat down, Ms. Sour OT walked in with her 6-7 year old patient. Cute as a button, this little boy clearly had issues as he bounded in, yelling and wildly swinging his arms. "MOM. MOM" I looked over at Mikey. "IS THIS BOY A SICKO?" (Stinkin' SpongeBob. I blame everything bad on SB even though it's not watched in our house). I cringed and tried to crawl inside myself as Mike got up and said, "We'll be in the lobby."


7 comments:

momwithfaithandhope said...

WOW! J is talking! Yes, we, too listen to babble all the time, but often, if we really listen, hear what she's saying. Funny story about the OT visit - Our OT comes to our house this Friday for the eval, and then hopefully, FINALLY, we'll start sessions the week after.

lorabelle said...

Out of the mouths of babes... Mikey is just too cute and way too funny !!! Its a shame that the office staff isn't more accommodating for the siblings of their patients. That is very frustrating...
Oh, I caved and gave in to "Sponge-Bob" awhile back! My boys are a little bit older though...
Sounds like J is starting to put it all together now. She sure is adorable and I bet her little jabbering is too!

Tami and Bobby Sisemore Family said...

HOW EXCITING that she said a sentence! WOW!!! That is wonderful :) I KNOW how that made your heart feel :) Glad the therapies are going well aside from Natzi OT folks! lol Noah is being evaluated next week for more therapy :) I am so thankful there is so much availalbe to help our little luvs! :)

big hugs
Tami
Noah's mama
www.tillGodbringsthemhome.blogspot.com

JackieMacD said...

Just another example of bad parenting. What ever will we do with you?

But Jaden seems to be kicking butt regardless! ;)

xo

momwithfaithandhope said...

Local State University Event sounds like fun. I think I may have been once when I was younger. Will talk to DH and connect via e-mail!

lorabelle said...

I just want you to know that I keep hearing that in my head now... Off and on all day long I've heard:
Keekee
Heeya
baw
Not sure if that is how you spelled those sounds in your post, but I can't get it out of my head!
She is totally saying it and I'm so excited for you. It's huge!

Anonymous said...

Gawd, I love Mikey! No MIkey, the big lady was the Sicko.