Friday, December 5, 2008

J's Develpmental Update

December 5, 2008
A little background: Jaden was visited by an early intervention person about 2 weeks ago, the outcome being that she's behind physically and cognitively by 6+ months, 4+ months when adjusted for her prematurity. She recommended assessments by 4 specialists, a physical therapist, an infant development specialist, a music therapist and an occupational therapist. 2 of the 4 have since evaluated her and boy-oh-boy are we gonna be busy with weekly appointments for each. Thank goodness the remaining 2 have yet to contact us. She's expected to fully catch up but has some lingering issues from her strabismus (crossed-eyes).

Speaking of her strabismus (surgically corrected in October), yesterday was her last post-op appointment with the opthamologist. She said J's eyes look perfect! FYI to those of you with Asian babies: The doctor said to me, "I don't know if you know much about Asian eyes (haha! I'm 1/2 Japanese), but the folds of skin on the inside of the eyes can make Asian babies appear somewhat cross-eyed when they're not." She reiterated that Jaden may need to wear glasses somewhere down the road but not to anticipate anything. Well, being the 'anticipator' that I am, we went right out and tried on some glasses. Whadaya think?

Note to self: never ever ever again eat sugar-free Jelly Bellies or Gummie Bears.

6 comments:

Tamara said...

So glad you mentioned the thing about asian eyes - I keep thinking Jia's one eye is turning in, but then other times I think it's not - so now I'm pretty sure it's not!
Thanks Much!

JackieMacD said...

HAHAHAHA! Love the glasses.

And it's great that you're moving forward. I can barely get anyone to take the next step...

demetrisfamily said...

Sounds like Jaden is on her way and will catch up in no time. Tripp had that "look" of one crossed eye when he was a baby but it was an optical illusion and disappeared. Glad to hear that her eyes are perfect! We already knew that she was perfect though. Yeah, stay away from those sugar free sweets. They're deadly. :0P

Expecting Good Things said...

That's good to know about asian babies looking cross-eyed when they're not. I've thought Breelyn looked cross-eyed at times.
Holli
PS: Jaden can FOR SURE pull off the "Drew Carey Glasses" look. :)

Dianne said...

I always thought that Allison was a little cross eyed until our eye dr. explained that to me. Glad to hear that her eyes are great now.

We just had our 2 yr. old evaluated this week and will be starting therapies too, so we'll be busy right with you.

lorabelle said...

yeah Jaden! So glad to hear that baby girls eyes are AOK! That is awesome news Ramona. As for the help here and there for while to catch up, no need to worry. Both of my bio kiddo's had some help in the beginning and are both A students now and by no means any different than other boys their age. You would never guess that they had a sloowww beginning.
I can just tell by the sparkle in her grin that she's going to catch up before they can muster up the paper chase...Still laughing at how cute that picture is!
What's up with the sugar free jimmies and jelly beans? Did I miss something?
Lora