Tonight we'll be wrapping up the last of our traditions - setting out cookies & milk and placing the big gifts under the tree after the kiddie-monsters have gone to sleep. Somebody suggested leaving Santa's footprints across the floor and I love this idea but the thought of vacuuming up all the flour has me indecisive on this one. I'm also worried the 15 year old might figure it out. :-)
Yesterday we delivered goodies to the hospital where Mikey was born, first visiting the high risk maternity ward then the NICU to thank the caregivers for saving Mikey's life.
Usually a nurse brings out a weary mom or dad who's been pulling vigil to meet a family with a *successful* preemie. "See? There's light at the end of the tunnel." But this year, it's a good year. Normally filled to their 70 bed capacity during Christmas, there are less than 50 babies in there right now. So it was relatively quiet and we were able to visit the nurses and doctors in a relaxed atmosphere. They get a kick out of seeing Mikey and this year, our 2nd preemie, Jaden. Shy at first, she snuggled her little head into Mike's shoulder and peeked out with one eye. This always brings a big 'ahhhh' from everybody.
Oh, wait. It just dawned on me why they didn't bring any parents out to visit with us...Mikey went into his regressive mode - a stage we've been tolerating since J got home. I thought we'd made great strides until the group of doctors and nurses greeted the 'General' (as he was known) and he responded with, "Meow." That's all he would say, with every question, comment, whatever, "Meow. Meow. Meow."
I lovingly stroked his head, smiled, and said, "Really. He's doing extraordinarily well." The whole time my eyes plead with him, "Dude. After all I do for you - please please give me this ONE moment!"
"Meow. Meow. Meow-meow."
Definitely not the proudest of moments for the mom of a *successful* preemie.
On to other kiddie-monster news. The gang of 2 has started a bad habit another tradition - midnight snacking. OK, not actually midnight but everyone's already snuggled into bed when Mikey announces, "I'm hungwy." After listening to me grumble about how he should have eaten all his dinner and 'it's dark and I'm not going with you!' (why on why am I such a freakin' %$&#* late at night???), he puts on his brave face and carefully makes his way to the kitchen turning on every light as he goes. I know he's reached his destination when I hear him foraging through the pantry. When he returns, J crawls into his bed and they proceed to crunch crunch crunch. No talking, no fighting, just crunch crunch crunch for at least 10 minutes.
This has been going on for about a month now. I'm on the fence about allowing this because as cute as it is THE NEXT DAY, it's oooogly when mama's already comfy in bed and on the brink of going to no-kiddie land.Merry Christmas to you all!
4 comments:
Hee hee :) The song You can eat crackers in my bed anytime comes to mind! :)
Hugs
Tami
Noah's mama
www.tillGodbringsthemhome.blogspot.com
What a great laugh on Christmas Eve! Meow.
Merry Christmas to your family from ours.
I vote for late night snacking ALWAYS! It's fun, and aren't they cute?!
Ramona, That is the cutest thing that they share the snacks in bed. Do they sleep together?
Holli
So So sweet... Oh the things our little ones try to pull over on their poor tired parents! You sure have your hands full Ramona. Full of sweet kiddo's with lots of energy.
Merry Christmas
Post a Comment