September 14, 2008Warning - this is a long rambling post. Continuing on from yesterday's post, there is a flip side - we have minutes, hours and even half days when Mikey and Jaden get along as I'd always fantasized. They laugh, squeal with delight and bond as partners in crime. Last night when Mikey was taking a bath, the freshly bathed Jaden stood at the side of the tub watching. She *accidently* knocked one of the bubble bath bottles into the tub. Mikey put it back on the ledge, lined up the remaining 3 next to it and proceeded to knock them into the tub, one-by-one. Jaden was laughing so hard she nearly tumbled backwards. They did this for quite a while, each time knocking the bottles harder for a bigger splash, thus, a bigger laugh. Big bad mom had to make them stop because I was afraid Jaden would slip on the now soaked bathroom floor. (Hmmm, whenever my mom broke up the harmless fun, didn't I vow to NEVER do that to my kids?)
We're having a great Sunday morning. All is quiet with the occasional coooing from Jaden accompanied by Mikey's soothing voice, "Here ya go, J" as he feeds her pears from his breakfast bowl. (Do you think Mikey will be emotionally distraught someday to see all these undie pictures I keep posting?)
I've got 3 overnight business trips schedule over the next 4 weeks. One to the Napa Valley, another to Long Beach, CA and a third to New York City. Mike was able to juggle his schedule to accompany me on the first 2 trips, but was unable to do so for the 3rd. This means I have to go without my kids = sick to my stomach. Well, my 'business partner/friend/auntie to my kids' thought it would be a great idea to take Mikey and put him to work in our booth at the conference. In the late of night (the worst to be without my kids), I readily agreed and booked Mikey's non-refundable flight. Next morning, "WHAT HAVE I DONE????" "WHAT WAS I THINKING????" "WE'RE DOOMED!!!"
Somewhat off the subject, I need to vent and use my miniscule bloggging power to deliver a message. I tried to cancel Mikey's tickets but JetBlue charges $100 dollars to cancel. Ouch! We were scheduled to take a Thursday night redeye then start work on Friday, but now that Mikey's definitely going, we won't be able to do that. We decide to leave a day earlier to accomodate him (and get in an extra day in fabulous NYC). JetBlue charges $100 dollars to modify. Even if it's the same flight, same cost only 24 hours earlier - they charge. They have no reason except "it's our policy, mam". We purchased our tickets less than 24 hours ago! We spent (no kidding) over 3 hours making phones calls to JetBlue as well as trying to find another airline. On the 10th phone call:
agent: "You're already scheduled to leave on Wednesday night."
me: (head snap) "Are you sure? Would you please double check that? My confirmation email still says Thursday night." (Note to whoever made this change - thanks for doing so at no additional charge and NO THANKS for not telling me!!! ARGH!!!)
agent: "Yes, you're definitely scheduled for Wednesday night."
me: "Could you please check my son's ticket?"
agent: "He's scheduled to leave Thursday night."
me: (in my sweetest sugary voice as fear rises in my gut) "Could you please change him to Wednesday night so he can fly with me?"
agent: "Yes, we can change his ticket but it'll cost you $100."
me: (sugary voice replaced with mom-of-multiples shock-value roar) "You have GOT to be KIDDING ME!!! He's only 4 years old, asthmatic AND not even potty trained yet!!!" (OK, I lied about the potty-trained but the rest is true.) "You seriously want me to put him on a redeye by himself at 4 years old with a nebulizer and in diapers??? Do you know what kind of liability you'll be under and all over ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS????!!!!"
agent: "I see your point, mam. Let me see what I can do."
agent: (5 minutes later) "It's your lucky day, mam. We were able to make the change at no cost to you."
MY LUCKY DAY - after 3+ hours of phones calls and at least a year off my life expectancy, it's my lucky day. So here's my 'Oprah Winfrey beef industry' moment - DO NOT use JetBlue. If you fly discount, stick with Southwest. You can make as many changes as you want and you can still check in 2 bags per traveller for free. (JetBlue is one bag and $20 for a second.)
So, Mikey is going to New York City for 4 days, 3 nights and he will, indeed, be working in our booth. He will either be an incredible marketing tool or he'll be the death of my company. Pray for the former. In preparation, we had his 4T uniform shirt made yesterday. Isn't it adorable?
That taken care of, I'm having another new mom of multiples dilemma - leaving my other child behind. I'm not worried about Jaden since she's equally bonded to me, dad and grandma (unlike Mikey who is mostly bonded to me). It's me I'm worried about - I'm already missing her as the separation date nears. She'll probably enjoy being the only child for a few days but I still can't help feeling the pending separation anxiety. I guess her time will come. Next year Mikey will start kindergarten at which time he will need to pass his Chairman of the Board torch to his little sister.
No comments:
Post a Comment