Saturday, September 20, 2008

A Day to be Grateful

September 20, 2008
Today we attended the NICU Reunion at Sutter Memorial Hospital in Sacramento, the hospital where Mikey was born. This reunion is a celebration for those who survived and a rememberance for those who didn't. Not only does it give families the opportunity to thank the caregivers who worked so diligently to keep their children alive, it reminds the caregivers why they do what they do and lets them take pride in their fine work. We're forever thankful to the staff at this hospital for keeping Mikey in utero an additional 3 weeks and for taking such good care of him once he made his early entrance.

Back to daily life with the Beau brood. A few nights ago I got roped into some volunteer work. It's a long predictable story - all I have to say is I have nothing against volunteering time or talent but I'm NOT a person to readily volunteer labor. So there I was doing a 5-10pm hard labor shift, getting dirty doing something I hate and with people I've never met (kinda puts a damper on the free-flow complaining that gets me through these types of things). Half way through, my Blackberry alerts me I have an urgent email. The subject is 'Kids'. Uh oh, is something wrong? (I'm feeling guilty for hoping just a little bit that it's at least something urgent enough to get me out of the remainder of my shift.) I open the email to this message: 'The kids are OK." And attached is this picture:


Back to work I went.

And now, introducing the newly appointed ISS Chairman of the Board: Mr. Michael A. Beauregard at your service. (We're doomed.)

1 comment:

JackieMacD said...

I was laughing hard enough when I saw the 'held captive' pic... but you add the little man pic after that... oh my gosh, HILARIOUS!

I think it's your willingness to volunteer AND complain that makes me like you.