Sunday, September 21, 2008

Gotcha Day Video Coming Soon (maybe)

September 21, 2008
I was laying in bed this morning thinking about yesterday's NICU Reunion and how each year we recongnize fewer and fewer nurses. This is a good thing - almost like we've been given permission to close that chapter in our lives and jump into the new one. So as a tribute to our former chapter, here's a look at where we were and where we've gotten.

Mikey at birth (3+ months early at 2 1/2 pounds):



And 4 years later (not weighing much more):


(No, the cheeks are not a result of prematurity - they're stuffed with grapes - the only kind of pictures I can get these days.)

Gotcha Day Video - another 'No'. I haven't posted it - yet. I've been considering posting it but it'll take some editing and I'll tell you why. There's one particularly moving moment where I hand Jaden over to Rosa because J's having a serious meltdown that's getting worse by the second. She instantly calms down once she's in Rosa's arms. (Newbies - Rosa is the nanny Jaden was very attached to at the orphanage.) Rosa sways back and forth singing to her and Jaden starts humming along as she studies Rosa's mouth with her tear -swollen eyes. She tenderly touches every inch of Rosa's face as though she's trying to burn it into her memory. It's so incredibly sad that it makes me want to cry just writing about it. I'd love to share at least this part of the video with everyone, but there's a problem. In the background, in crystal clear view, is me - ME CHEWING ON MY LUNCH LIKE A COW. What's worse is I remember thinking how glad I was that someone took Jaden and made her stop crying because I was SO hungry. It's really that bad. I can't even watch this part any more. Advice to those who have not yet picked up their bundles of joy - be very conscientious of what you're doing while the video is running. (In hindsight, this was probably the first hint of post-adoption depression - I'd rather eat than console my baby daughter. Yes, I'm a recovered PAD sufferer.)

To hold you over until I get the Gotcha Day video edited, here's another. It's a typical interaction between Mikey and Jaden. Enjoy! Oh, and you may want to cover your ears.




Soon after this clip, I had to make Mikey open the rocking, screaming box.

2 comments:

The family of six said...

That sounds like an amazing video - I can't wait to see it. I have my video too but it's too long to post on YouTube so I have to figure out how to divide it. Jaden looks great - she doesn't even seem like the child I met in Taiwan! Thank you for your comment on my blog!

lorabelle said...

Oh that high pitch scream is sooo like the one at my house! I just played this video clip and let Allie watch it and my husband came into the room and said: NOW, what is she screaming about? LOL!
He really thought it was Allie...
We both shuddered at the thought of both of them standing in their cribs doing it at the same time!
Lora