Saturday, July 25, 2009

Can't Get no Respect

July 25, 2009
What do I hate more than Frickin' Chickens? HUMONGOUS FEROCIOUS BEARS THAT COME ONTO YOUR CABIN PORCH AND PEER AT YOU THROUGH THE SCREEN DOOR.

No Mother-of-Mergatroid kidding.

No, I did not think to grab my camera. This is somebody else's bear. Mine was much bigger and much more vicious.

Bears are a phobia of mine. It started when I was 4 and saw a bear walking around our back yard in Los Angeles. Mom and dad: Trust me. It was a bear, not our hairy neighbor walking around naked.

It continued into my teens when a bear started sleeping beneath my bedroom window at night. Sorry mom and dad, but I don't see how dragging a bean bag from room to room begging to crash for the evening made the bear so lonely it went away. But thanks for the big bean bag chair - it made sleeping on the floor much more comfy.

There's more (lots more) but you get the picture. Me and bears have led to decades of bear-assment from my family. Take, for example, the email I sent to my parents right after I escaped the near mauling on my porch:

"Bear just came up on porch and looked at me through screen door. I'm never coming back here again."

Their response: "Take firecrackers with you next time. They don't like noise."

Anyone else feel the love?

And it doesn't stop there. Minutes later I called the Tahoe Animal Control Board.

Me: (in a very controlled voice) I'm calling to report that a bear was on my porch.

Agent: Was it doing something bad?

Me: Yes. It looked at me through the screen door.

Agent: What did you do?

Me: I slammed the door shut.

Agent: You did the right thing but next time before you slam the door shut yell, 'You bad bear! You go away bad bear!'
THEN slam the door shut. (snicker-snicker, giggle-giggle)

Me: Uh, yeah. OK. All right. OK. Thank you.

And to my cabin mates who seem to think it's normal for a bear to look at you through the screen door - I don't care if you can't breathe from the fumes. The website said to spray amonia around all your windows and doors to keep bears from coming in. You'll thank me someday.

5 comments:

Tamara said...

Oh man - did that guy really say that???

It reminds me of when I was robbed of nearly everything in my house and I asked the police officer what they were going to do and he told me to "get a dog" ????
#$@%$# - ugh!

Hope the rest of the weekend is better!

momwithfaithandhope said...

OMGoodness! I'd freak out. . .Only wish you had taken a photo!!!

JackieMacD said...

Were you bare, I mean bear, naked? I'm sure you could bearly get the words out on the phone. Maybe he was looking for bear necessities or he had bad news to bear.

Bad news, bears.

Tami and Bobby Sisemore Family said...

ok, I almost had a heart attack reading about it! You poor thing! I would be for leaving!

Blessings,
Tami
Praying Jeremiah home Quickly
www.tillGodbringsthemhome.blogspot.com

Expecting Good Things said...

OMG I'm scared of bears too! AND I've never seen one. How scary. I'da freaked.
Holli