Sunday, April 12, 2009

We've been MIA

April 12, 2009
Long time no post but I've got a good excuse - we've had a whirlwind week here from Mikey's 5th birthday to Spring break to the Easter holiday.

Mikey's birthday season started off with a bang at his preschool where he was king for the day. It continued 2 days later at his traditional family dinner held at Chevy's on the day.
And it peaked at his first ever real birthday party at Skyhigh, a warehouse full of connected trampolines. 18 friends & siblings showed up which put Mikey over the moon. The smile on the kid was from ear to ear.
Because the kids were out of school last week for Spring Break, Kathy and I decided to take them on a little trip to the coast. We played by day and worked by night. We stayed in Carmel, my dream hometown (in addition to NYC) and were within walking distance from the beach and right around the corner from my favorite candy shop, the Cottage of Sweets. Carmel-by-the-sea is one of the most beautiful and quaint towns I've ever seen. All of the buildings literally look like cottages with ivy growing over doorways, moss covering rooftops and porches made of cobblestone. Jeez, I'd setup house in a tent just to live there.

It was a little cold so we didn't spend much time on the beach. Tropical Jaden was unsure about coming out of her shell but she couldnt' resist the sand.Mikey, of course, loves loves loves the beach and I suspect he'll be surfing soon.
The KMs especially liked the Monterey Bay Aquarium where they got to touch sea creatures and play in the Splash Zone. A penguin took particular interest in Mikey & J and kept swimming down to check them out.
We stayed 3 nights in Carmel and headed home on day 4 via San Francisco. We had lunch at Pier 39 then walked to the end of the pier to watch the sea lions. Here's a pic of Mikey looking at Alcatraz Island. This time Jaden could not weather the cold and kept herself hidden beneath Mikey's raincoat.We returned for one night only to be whisked away to Tahoe for a last day of snowboarding so Mikey colored his eggs in a hotel kitchen
while Jaden smooshed playdough into the carpet.
They awoke this morning to Easter baskets and over a dozen hidden eggs. Mikey could not believe the bunny found him.
We're finally home and back to reality. Was it relaxing? Ummm, not really but aside from a few T-Wonst meltdowns and Mikey antics, we had a lot of fun. For what it's worth, I have a new found respect for single mothers - going it alone is not an easy job.
Happy Easter to you all!



6 comments:

lorabelle said...

Aaww WOW!
Sounds like you did a wonderful job Ramona!!! Looks like everyone enjoyed themselves and had a great time. Happy Easter!
Allie loves her Robot, by the way.
I posted a little clip. She loves the music and is really getting the hang of manuvering herself all around now. Thanks again for sharing about M & J's on your blog.

Tami and Bobby Sisemore Family said...

Sounds like an amazing and fun filled week! :) I would love it :) Lots of things never been done before :) Love all the pictures and hearing how yall are doing. YOU need to get in the pictures more often my friend! :)

hugs and blessings,
Tami
PRAYING NOAH'S Didi JEREMIAH HOME SOON!
www.tillGodbringsthemhome.blogspot.com

demetrisfamily said...

So, that's where you've been! What a busy week for you & the kiddies. I'm green that you were all enjoying the beautiful scenery down on the central coast. It was great seeing last Monday. Thanks for inviting us! Tripp had a great time!!

momwithfaithandhope said...

Mikey looks like he had a blas at his party - sorry we couldn't make it. I LOL when your post said MIA. I've been super MIA - haven't posted in FOREVER. Your Carmel trip sounded fabulous!

Expecting Good Things said...

Happy Birthday Mikey! I LOVE Chevy's Too! The queso is THE BEST! I always make sure to take some home. (k, now I'm hungry.) Looks like your getaway was fun! The pic of Jaden underneath the raincoat made me laugh. I love that your kids have so much personality. Shows that you're a great mom. :)
Holli

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you did all that without Mike! You are the bravest woman I have ever met!