Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Jaden's Developmental Update

April 28, 2009
Last week Jaden underwent her 6 month evaluation for the therapies she receives and I'm happy to report she's surpassing everyone's expectations. When her Infant Development Specialist handed me her asessment she said, "It's so refreshing to work with a child who makes such rapid progress." Her OT said, "I'm so glad Jaden is my last patient. It's such a nice way to end the day and she's SO smart. She makes me feel like I'm really accomplishing something." (Mike took her to PT last week but I already know her therapist loves her.)

Occupation Therapy: She's able to grasp small objects, draw "straight" lines and circles.

Physical Therapy: She can slowly but surely walk down stairs in an upright position without hold a rail. Her 90 degree foot is at about 15 degrees now and her right side is much stronger.

Infant Development: She's talking A LOT. Not in sentences but with 2 words and she definitely gets her points across. She works well with puzzles and follows directions like a soldier (yeah, right).

I spoke (again) with her OT about her temper issues and she said a large part is attitude but a smaller part is still due to an integration sensory disorder. She recommended gently "slamming" Jaden onto a bed when she starts to get out of control.

As fate would have it, she spun out of control a few hours later so I did as instructed and, wahlah!, she stopped! She took it down a thousand knotches, her body went lax and she started to gently cry. Apparently this type of stimulus is what she needs when she's T-Wonsting.

At home she's developed quite a sense of humor and plays very well by herself although she wants to copy everything big brother does. I really have to keep an eye on Mikey because he purposefully does bad things he thinks she'll copy.

Stroller issues: now I'm thinking I want the Bob with the bigger tires instead of the one arriving tomorrow. You know, I had this same issue last time when I bought both, tried them out then decided to keep the one with bigger tires. Buyer's remorse took over and I got rid of that one, too. My unbridled excitement has turned into an all consuming stress and all over tire size. I seriously need help.

9 comments:

JackieMacD said...

Yay Jaden!!!! She's one exceptional little monkey. Congrats to her for all of her hard work realized.

Step away from the strollers, woman! What will your addiction be when they're both in school and out of strollers?

momwithfaithandhope said...

YAY for J!!! She sounds like she's doing wonderfully. Can you e-mail me more about this "gentle slamming" business - G has the same sensory issues, and wondering if this might snap her out of her T-wonsting as well????? Just need to bring her "down a few notches" -
You're worse than me with the strollers, but I'm not far behind. Get the one with the bigger tires - the kids aren't getting any smaller and you need the suspension, hello?! LOL

Gracyn follows orders like a soldier too, believe it or not - weird. . .reading J's update is sort of like reading about G.

Let's get together soon!

Tami and Bobby Sisemore Family said...

Yipppee for Jaden! So happy to hear she is doin so well :) Love the slammin idea! Kinda shock value I guess, like in movies where a woman is hysterical and someone slaps her! HUMM not sure how Noah would feel about the gentle slammin. He would probably think it a game and start laughin! lol

Wow, I am havin stroller envy! heeheee Can't wait for pics of the final choice :) I am praying for a double stroller for Noah and Jeremiah :) Can't wait :)
hugs
Tami
Noah, Celeste, and Jeremiah's mama
www.tillGodbringsthemhome.blogspot.com

lorabelle said...

That is wonderful news that Jaden is doing so well! She is such a little go getter!

Okay, So are you serious about the "gentle slamming" thing? I am reading along and thinking that you are joking and I'm laughing thinking, Oh Ramona! What next...
So is this in fact a suggestion by a therapist? Hmmmm, Although it sounds like a lot of fun at certain points in my day, I think it would totally wig Allie out. With my luck I wouldn't be "gentle" enough and would end up having to deal with CPS!
Go for the deluxe stroller, it will probably be your last one and then you can start looking for cars.

Anonymous said...

OMG..to clarify Ramona is not talking about slamming in the sense of 'WWF' but merely putting a child on a bed with gentle force when the child is having a convulsive, head-banging full on tantrum. Let's weigh the options...head banging on wood/tile floor vs gentle force on sleep number mattress...hummm!!! Well, I'll take a bed anyday per the occupational therapists recommendation.

JackieMacD said...

Well Kathy, you bring up an excellent point. What number in the sleep number bed? I'm a 58.

Ramona, I'm always in awe AND feel completely stupid when I talk to experts who know how to deal with things in ways I never would. Your hours upon hours of dedication, sitting at early intervention appts are paying off. Please keep sharing what you learn because there are so many parents out here -- me included -- who benefit from your experience.

And it's because of you that we realized Lucy was in need of therapies. We're all eternally grateful for your honesty and putting yourself out there.

Keep on strollin'.

Sarah said...

Way to go, J! So happy to hear she's making great progress. Let me hear a whoop whoop!

lorabelle said...

WoW Holy Cow!
I certainly didn't intend to "slam" you in any way shape or form, just hadn't heard of this "method" before... And I've been the therapy round with my boys...Sorry if my comment this came across and offended you or ANYONE else. I was only visualizing, and trying to keep a light sense of humor... Although some didn't realize that while reading my comment, I hope that YOU did. Body Slam away! "Gently"! LOL
Lora

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that's play time at my house. Nice to know there's therapeutic applications as well.

In all seriousness, I am so glad you've found a method that works for you. I know you were really worried about it and being the fantastic mom that you are, you've done careful research and gone the extra mile. Those kids are so, so lucky to have you and Mike.