Thursday, November 20, 2008

Slow Down and Smell the....

November 18, 2008
PREFACE: This is a loooong post, Part I of which is pretty boring. Skip to Part II if you're here mainly for the lowdown.

Part I: Last Tuesday I had a 9:30 meeting downtown. On top of the usual kiddie-monster chores (feeding, clothing, diapering/pottying, medicating, etc), I had to make myself presentable, gas up the car and stop at the ATM so by the time I neared my destination, I was already feeling quite scattered. I passed a sign advertising '$10 Early Bird Parking Special Before 9:30am'. The time was 9:27 which gave me 3 minutes. Hmmm, can I make it? Banking on my hubby's 'get out of jail free' card for spouses of the law, I stepped on the gas and shifted like Mario Andretti, navigating the one-way streets with ease and turning corners with finesse until I came upon a stop light. As the clock ticked and I nervously waited, I glanced up to the sky. Looming before me through the trees was the most beautiful old building I'd ever seen.

It was one of those serene moments where my mind cleared and my shoulders relaxed. In all the years I've lived here, how on earth did I miss this stately building? How much more am I missing by rushing around everyday trying to keep it together? What is all the stress about? Then SNAP! I was reminded - I have a lot of kids and I have only 1 minute to get to that parking lot!!!

*** No joke - I made it by 30 seconds. ***

Part II: Next day, the previous day's insightfulness was replaced by multi-kid mom issues. Most notably, Jaden had one of her famous T-Wonster tantrums in Costco. I've thought long and hard about her increased tantrums and I'm recanting my earlier post - it's definitely not a setback. I know when she's sad, lonely, hurt, etc. There are real tears, her little jaw juts out the left and she sobs with her tiny hands balled up in her lap. She welcomes me scooping her up and holding her tight. My best barometer is that I can actually feel her sorrow and my heart aches for her. This tantrum thing, however, only happens when she doesn't get her way. I've never in all my life seen anything like it. One minute she's sugar and spice while pushing a baby stroller around Costco.

The next, an angry, screaming, flopping wild cat. I literally had to wrestle with her on the floor to get the stroller away. It took much longer than you could ever imagine (unnaturally strong grip) and the whole time she's screaming so loud it's echoing! I picked her up and she bucked so hard I had to hold tighter which made her louder and buckier! I finally had to put her down. The incident was FAR WORSE than this picture shows. I was so jangled it took me over half an hour to find my car.
If anyone out there has experienced this and/or has any suggestions on how to handle this, please share. What do you do and have things gotten any better?

Today J is back to her 75% self, happy, easy-going and getting along great with her brother (who is becoming increasingly protective and loving towards her). Maybe she's more like her mom than I thought - she, too, needs an outlet. I just wish it was the mailman, grocer or anybody/thing other than me.

On to other kiddie-monster shinanigans. Mikey is convinced he knows how to speak Japanese. Standing in line at Panda Express (Chinese), he walked up to the food display and with Vanna White hands said, "Solahhhh. This is Kung Fu food. I speak Japanese." Everyone roared as I stood proud of my 4 year old billingual son.

That evening he asked us to take him out for Japanese food because he's, well, Japanese. Leave it to my Schlumpy to come up with such a fabulous idea. Jaden loved it, especially the miso soup. (She's exquisitely beautiful when she's not T-Wonstin' on me.)

Watching her across the table, it briefly crossed my mind that I could just tell her she's Japanese (a culture well known to us). I'm only kidding so please don't leave me a barrage of comments flambasting me for such an insensitive thought. :-)

UPDATE: The Sony is fine, the Toshiba didn't fare so well. While it still "works", the LCD now has a big permanent lake-like blotch in the middle of it.



4 comments:

lorabelle said...

Oh, I'm laughing! I hope that I'm laughing with you and not at you... Are you laughing yet?
She is so cute Ramona. I want to see a video of her being a wonster. Surly you are making this up, as she just looks like she is foolin with you. hee hee hee. It's nice to hear that Mikey is protective and loving of his little sister these days. You sure do have some adorable kiddo's, all three of them!
(Smiling) Lora

demetrisfamily said...

Hilarious and yet so familiar. I know that I've told you that Costco was our home away from home and Tripp pulled a similar stunt with us on a recent trip. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry about his meltdown/tantrum. I think we've hit the "terrible two's"! Too bad Costco didn't have a little day care center where the little ones could be entertained for an hour. :0P Looking forward to seeing all of you on Saturday!

momwithfaithandhope said...

Yes, we, too have the same tantrum issue. I couldn't help but smile, shake my head, and think to myself, thank goodness we're not the only ones. What do I do? Well, if we're at home, which is usually where she acts up, I ignore her. She's quickly learned that if she stops crying, I'll pick her up. Sometimes she cries at my feet, and if she holds on, I'll pat her, but encourage her to stop the screaming, and as soon as she stops, I pick her up. Of course, I only do this with tantrums. Not with the "I'm hurt" tears, or "I'm scared" - With the scared of me walking away tears, I stop, wait for her, but won't go back. I just wait until she can come to me. I might get hammered for this, but it works for us. If I were in Costco, I'd do what you did, and I'd have to hold on with a death grip too, or her bucking would land her on the slab. And sersiously, she can flip it on and off. One second, smiles, next second (if she's not getting her way) she's one "terrible 2s" 2 year old! The joys of toddler years. . .see you tomorrow!

Tamara said...

Yep-

I'm afraid I have one of those too :) She can throw down and scream bloody murder when she is mad and then the minute you pick her up or she gets what she was after she is smiling away and laughing (sometimes like instantly) - who does that?????

She does the head throwing / bucking thing so well we have nearly dropped her several times. We are VERY careful and ready now :)

J just looks more adorable each time I see her pic.