Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The 3rd Baby Bo

November 12, 2008
"I don't wanna be a part of this family anymore!"
"You're ruining my life!"
"Oh, $%*&!"
"Whatever!"
"That's just not fair!"

These are typical outbursts you'd expect from a hormonal teenager, but they're never things I hear from my 15 year old stepson, Brandon. He's an average adolescent in many aspects: lazy, procrastinator, forgetful, but he is never disrespectful and always compliant. In fact, this 'I'll never have children' person was changed by this boy and he's the reason Mikey is even walking this earth.

Brandon has been in my life since he was 5 years old and has spent every other week with us from day one. Shared custody has been incredibly and unnecessarily difficult at times, but he always seems to bounce back and takes great pains to stay neutral. We rarely have to reprimand him and when we do, it's usually for a white lie or ridiculously avoidable accident. He plays very well and at long intervals with his much younger siblings (quite willingly when it's a choice between chores and toddler play, I might add) and still enjoys spending time with the family. I'd love to unleash some mama power on him but he gives me no opportunities. At it's worst:

Me: "Bub, could you please do the dinner dishes?"
B: As he turns on his heels towards the sink, he tilts his head back, rolls his eyes and loudly exhales.
Me: "Oooh, you are SO busted!! I saw that!! You are SO grounded!! Just wait 'till I tell your dad!"

What I'm getting at is that I'm pretty lucky when it comes to the step-dom and teenage-dom of momhood, even if it means tolerating his walking, talking baggage once in a while. And as he pointed out to me when I started this blog, there are 3 Baby BOs and I love every one of them.
BTW. The list of war cries above came from my feisty 4 year old, Mikey. I left out, "I'm moving to Taiwan!!" for fear of giving it away.

4 comments:

Tami and Bobby Sisemore Family said...

What a beautiful baby bo he is!! :) heehee

You are quite blessed ;)

hugs
Tami
Noah's mama
www.tillGodbringsthemhome.blogspot.com

lorabelle said...

Funny how one minute their young men and the next you realize that they are still little boys at heart... I see it all the time with my Adam, also 15! One minute he's so independent and mature acting and the next minute he's still a little boy...I'm very lucky too, as Adam is a good kid and easy to have around. He is back with us full time after a year of trying it full time with his Dad and I'm thrilled!

momwithfaithandhope said...

I can attest to the manners of this young man. He is not only handsome, but an absolute gentleman.

Precious Wonders and Little Monkeys said...

Awh, you get embarrassing kudos 3rd baby Bo! Yep, they're right too... you're a looker... but as we all know that's not everything, and you have some amazing talents that I'm sure Mrs. Bo would love to gush about (but doesn't because of inflicting more embarrassment). So kudos for staying level-headed, being trustworthy (huge one there) & for staying outta big fat trouble. You learned all this being the eldest too! It took 8 older siblings to keep my nose clean! haha =0)