August 14, 2009
It's been a while since I posted last. As much as I try to organize and prioritize, I just seem to get busier by the day. Aside from spending a lot of time at Lake Tahoe this summer (nearly every weekend), we've been immersed in one of Jaden's spells. She seems to go for a month without incident them BAM! 1-2 weeks of non-stop meltdowns. We're at week 2 this time around so hopefully that means there's an end in sight. She's sporting a big knot on her forehead from the garage door today.
Even though she was approved for admitance to the UCD Pediatric Psychiatry & Behavioral Clinic, we still haven't received an appointment. Seems they're backlogged with Wascally Wabbits. I think it's time to call and bug them...
A friend who has lots of experience with autism gave me some great advice. She said that next time Jaden has a burndown, capture it on film. My immediate reaction was, "How do I do that when I'm so busy trying to calm her down?" She knowingly smiled and said, "I know. That was my first reaction, too. But there are little things you're not catching that may be very helpful to an expert." She is SO right. Simply from this suggestion, I paid a different sort of attention and notice that she wrings her feet when she's on the brink. I could never fully explain everything so if I gather myself enough during one of these episodes, I will definitely film her.
In the meantime, we've come to the conclusion that once she gets to the 'point of no return', the best thing to do is let her release while tightly holding her (to keep her from injuring herself). I just keep kissing her cheek while telling her I love her. It's hard because she's so darned strong but she eventually wears herself out and we all get some peace.
Anyhoo, here's a cute little picture of what we're calling The Tahoe Gang.

3 comments:
Maybe you should show Jaden the video. Think she'd react to it? I just wonder if she gets so far into herself, she doesn't even realize how bad it gets.
Totally not professional opinion or advice. Just something that i thought of while reading it. I'm the bad mom who has a tantrum along with Lucy and pretends to cry. She hates it so much, she immediately stops.
Glad I'm not the only one who tantrums along with their kid Jackie!! I've done it too, and it does make her sort of look at me funny. . .or it just p*sses her off more!
Sorry to hear that Jaden has been having a rough time. Like Jaden, when Gracyn is having an "issue" day, we just have to let her get it out of her system. Some days she's perfect, and then something just snaps. Seems that when she's overtired or she's been overstimulated (a day where she's had therapy of some sort) she's more likely to break. She also hates inconsistency. Something to do with her SPD. I'd try to note any consistencies in J's environment before she experiences these meltdowns. . .I had overlooked some basic things with Gracyn, like "talking to her before we change gears" which I often forget because she doesn't talk much, but it makes a world of difference with her. . .sorry to go on and on. . .Big hugs. Enjoy the rest of summer!!!
Bestill Emi's heart! Little Mikey AND Rusty in the same pic! ;-) She really does miss them, though. VERY cute picture!
I have to admit that I copy Miya during her tantrums as well. And like Tiff, half the time it makes things 100% worse. She gets that look of shock on her face and then, wham! "Stop that Mommy!!" at the top of her lungs :-P
Sending lots of good thoughts your way and hoping that J is doing better soon!!
Post a Comment