We're having a busy week with Jaden. In addition to her regular schedule of appointments (physical therapy, occupational therapy & infant development), three others have been slated for this week: 6 month opthamology (eyes are 100%!), 3 month endocrinology and neurology. Whew, ready for an appointment vacation!
The neurology appointment: Jaden still has a diagnosis of 'tempermental'. Seems 'temperament' has nothing to do with her environment or her choices - it means she's reacting as she's wired to do, something she can't control due to her extreme pre-Beau circumstances (do you find this as funny as I do? pre-Beau circumstances) and her tender age. Sorry I have to leave you hanging about her p-B circumstances but if you feel you share this aspect, please leave a comment with your email address and I'll get back with you.
The doctor gave us 2 immediate options:
1) run her through a battery of tests and/or
2) put her on daily medication
In his opinion he feels the tests would be inconclusive because she's highly intelligent and sociable. As for drugs, they'd help but she'd be lethargic all the time.
He suspects that as she gets older, she'll develop a cognitive sense of right and wrong and be able to control herself better. If not, additional treatment will be necessary. In the meantime, she will visit him every 6 months (yay! another appointment!) and he feels the UCD Pediatric Psychiatry & Behavioral Clinic will be able to better help us in the short term.
Feeling a little let down, I chose to forgo both options for now. It's so difficult to make these decisions when she's having a good week. Kind of like grocery shopping after polishing off a 4 course meal. I guess I was hoping to walk away with a nose spray or something (a little sumpin'-sumpin' for mama - "Doctor! Look at me! I'm a sufferin' succotash!"). We'll continue to focus on the cause and wait for our appointment at UCD.
Public Service Announcement: that's real lipstick in the Barbie make-up kit.

What's my Schlumpy been up to? Finagling goodies out of mom & dad to soothe his distress over Jaden. (yeah, right)

7 comments:
Holy Cow -
no that's a sundae. OMG - that picture cracks me up.
Sorry you didn't get any prescriptions for a little sumpin' sumpin'. . .LOL
That sundae should do the trick for anyone though! WOW. Let's go there when we get together. . . wherever "there" might be. Don't recognize the scenery, but sure could eat that ice cream right up!
I think we all have pre-Beau circumstances. Yours just sounds like actual terminology. Just like that other vocab word you've shared and we use. (wink, wink)
The sundae is bigger than his head!
I'm sorry things with J are still up in the air. Hopefully you guys can find a coping strategy while you search for a solution.
OMG? Is that sundae FOR REAL?
So... are you a professional appointment parent, now? Could... like... people hire you to take their kid to the dentist?
I'm laughing at Sarah's comment. Too funny! That sundae looks SO good. Would love to see him diving into it. Where did he start?
Crackin up about J's lipstick face. Pink face or not, she is so adorable. Wish that things would have gone better and they could find something to help her out a little bit without the neg side effects... I know it's frustrating and hard to be on your end. Hang in there!
So sorry to hear about Jaden's tempermental issues but glad to hear you're working to find a solution. We've gone through temperamental issues, which I'll share with you sometime. Thinking of you all.
Lori
Hi, Have they ever discussed sensory integration disorder? Maybe some treatments for that may show some improvemrnt. It may be worth a try. Adrienne
Post a Comment